Insects are truly fascinating creatures and at GC Pest Control we come across a lot of insects!
Insects by definition are a small arthropod (an animal having an external skeleton) that has six legs and generally one or two pairs of wings.
Insects come in all different shapes, sizes and colours and these sometimes eccentric little creatures provide an endless list of strange and interesting facts:
- Ants are ancient. Scientists estimate ants came about on earth over 100 million years ago.
- Hercules beetles can carry up to 850 times its body mass.
- Red back spiders can live without food for up to 100 days.
- The fastest insect in the world is the male Horsefly reaching speeds of 145.8 kilometres per hour.
- Largest stick insect is the Giant Prickly Stick Insect, reaching lengths of 20cm.
- Centipedes always have an odd number of legs.
- Tarantulas can survive for up to 2 years without food.
- Driver ants can kill and devour small animals and larger invalid animals (including humans).
- Only female mosquitoes bite.
- The blood of insects is usually yellow.
- No two spider webs are spun the same.
- Ladybugs can resort to eating their own kind if food is scarce.
- Bees don’t have ears.
- The Wheel Bug is the slowest insect in the world.
- Butterflies use their hind feet to taste.
- Fireflies are not flies but are actually a beetle.
- A dragonfly lives for only 24 hours.
- Mosquitoes have teeth.
- Ants never sleep.
- A snail can sleep for 3 years.
- The Praying Mantis is the only insect whose head can swivel 360 degrees.
- Fleas can leap up to 30cm in one single bound.
- Houseflies do not live past 14 days.
- Honeybees have hairy eyes.
- A spider’s web is not spun to make a home but rather to make a food trap.
- Twisted-wing parasite larvae eat their own mother from the inside out when they hatch
- Cockroaches can live for weeks without a head.
Thankfully some of these exotic insects we are not likely to come across like the Driver ant! If you need pest control on the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Brisbane, give the friendly team at GC Pest Control a call.