Our furry friends are part of our families, and keeping them safe from pests should be one of your highest priorities. In Australia, we are exposed to many insects that could potentially harm our pets.
It is best to know what to look out for, so you can respond correctly. So, let’s take a look at the most common pest problems affecting pets on the Gold Coast, Ipswich and Brisbane.
Whether your pets spend the majority of their time indoors or outdoors, there are a number of pests they need to be kept safe from. This is particular important in the warmer months.
Common Pests Found Near Pets
The most common and irritating pests to dogs and cats are fleas. These insects can multiply at astonishing rates, from 1 flea to 1000 fleas, in just 3 weeks! If your pet is suffering from a flea infestation you will notice them itching and scratching incessantly. This can lead to hair loss, irritated skin, sores, scabs, the transmission of tapeworms and some cases can further develop into anaemia.
To control fleas both inside and outside your home, you must:
- Regularly vacuum and clean carpets, bedding, pet beds and any other furniture your pet has come into contact with.
- Treat your pet with flea treatments regularly.
- Regularly wash your pet with a pet-friendly flea shampoo.
- Have a professional flea treatment (indoors and outdoors) by GC Pest Control to stop the fleas from reproducing.
Ticks can be fatal to dogs and cats. With our beautifully warm weather on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane, dogs are often outdoors and exposed to areas where ticks may live. So, an encounter with a tick is likely in their lifetime. Symptoms of tick bites can range from irritation, fever, arthritis, swelling of joints, anaemia, lameness and total paralysis. In severe cases paralysis ticks can cause death. If you see a tick on your pet, seek vet attention immediately.
To prevent ticks on your pets:
- Treat your pet regularly with an oral tick treatment.
- Wash pets regularly in a tick shampoo. These often come in flea/tick shampoo combinations.
- Regularly inspect your pet coat for ticks.
- Refrain from walking dogs through areas of long grass or bush.
Mosquitoes aren’t known to be fussy and will bite cats and dogs, as well as humans. Bites cause itchy red bumps that can last for several days. Mosquitoes are also responsible for infecting pets with heartworm and roundworm. To minimise mosquito bites to pets:
- Use a pet-friendly mosquito repellent. Human repellents will be toxic to animals.
- Use citronella candles in outdoor areas to naturally repel mosquitoes.
- Clear away old buckets etc outside where stagnant water is the perfect environment for mosquitoes to lay their eggs in.
Mange is a skin disease caused by a parasitic mite in the hair follicle that will cause irritation, itching and hair loss to both dogs and cats.
To prevent and treat mange:
- Maintain your pets diet and health for good immunity
- Seek treatment from a Vet for tests and treatment if your pet exhibits symptoms of mange
Keeping Your Pet Safe From Pests
Regularly washing your pets, their bedding, treating them with preventative medication and keeping their environment clean should see mostly happy days for your pet.
If you are experiencing an infestation of pests or noticing your pets have any of the above symptoms, get in touch with our team. We service Gold Coast, Ipswich or Brisbane for all home pests and rodents.